Memorial day (and other holidays) are usually filled with a few hours in the car and a few stops to fill up the tank (and shove your face with garbage). NO MORE! If you don’t pack your healthy food with you, be sure your gas station checkout includes these items (and omits a few listed below) – it will save you hours of work in the gym and inches on your waist. Below are a few tips on how to eat healthy at a gas station.
9 Healthy Foods To Buy At A Gas Station:
- Beef Jerky – low in fat and high in protein
- Muscle Milk – some gas stations carry this pre-mixed high-protein drink. Be sure to get the “Lite” version to save on some fat grams.
- Almonds or Mixed Nuts – although high in fat, nuts are one of the healthier options at the gas station.
- Flavored Water (Or low-calorie sports drink) – ditch the soda and energy drinks.
- Fresh Fruit – more and more gas stations are carrying apples and bananas
- Granola Bars
- Protein Bars – usually over by the crackers, most gas stations will carry some sort of protein bar these days.
- Skim Milk
- Cheerios or other breakfast cereal – many gas stations have single serving packages of cereal. Pick one that’s whole grain and not high in sugar.
7 Horrible Foods To Avoid at a Gas Station:
- Doughnuts and Pastries – high in fat, sugar – a perfect storm for packing on the pounds
- Soda, Energy Drinks and ALL sugar beverages.
- Pizzas, Burgers, Breadsticks, etc. Loaded with fat and grease.
- Chips – high in fat and sodium. Go for the pretzels if you need salt and crunch!
- Candy Bars
- Breakfast Sandwiches – loaded with fat, grease and sodium
- Moon Pies, Cherry Pies or any sort of Little Debbie snack – all these are is fat and sugar in a pretty wrapper
Sure holidays and weekends are supposed to be fun and stress free – and they can be! Focus your attention on the activities and the people and NOT ON THE FOOD! I know you’ll likely have a barbecue or order some pizza. Indulge if you will, but moderation is key – count calories and don’t overeat!