Leucine is one of the three branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), and has been shown to, and is known for its ability to stimulate skeletal muscle protein synthesis. Studies have also shown that, leucine has a several fold greater impact on protein synthesis than any other amino acid.
A Quick Overview on Amino Acids
There are 20 amino acids used by the human body and eight of them cannot be synthesized. Leucine is one of the amino acids that must be acquired by diet. Leucine is manufactured by plants and microorganisms. Leucine can be found in high concentrations in foods such as: beef, fish, chicken almonds, and eggs.
What does Leucine do?
Leucine slows muscle degradation by facilitating the creation of muscle proteins. Leucine is used by the liver, body fat, and muscle. Leucine increases energy and endurance. It also plays an important role in the synthesis of hemoglobin. Leucine helps maintain proper blood sugar and plays a role in human growth hormone synthesis.
Who needs Leucine and how much should be taken?
Based on current research everyone needs Leucine. It is an essential amino acid that slows muscle degradation, helps regulate blood sugar levels, helps in the manufacturing of hemoglobin, and aids in the production of hgh.
Athletes and bodybuilders can benefit from increased intake of Leucine because of its direct affect on muscle and bone health. As always you should consult your physician before beginning any supplementation regiment.
Leucine has a number of roles to play in the body and is sold as a stand-alone supplement, as well as being an ingredient in some products that claim to help you lose weight and help you to increase your energy levels. Leucine assists in the regulation of blood sugar levels, and thus can be helpful for those who suffer from varying blood sugar levels. The fact that it is said to increase energy levels as well as help maintain muscle mass has made it a popular supplement for those who work out.
- Leucine supplements are said to help provide the body with energy.
- Leucine supplements are said to be effective in stabilizing blood sugar levels in the body.
- Leucine is available as a stand-alone supplement which can be ordered online and as an ingredient in some weight loss supplements.
- A number of the trials carried out regarding Leucine have been carried out on animals, not humans.
- The testimonials available on the web regarding Leucine are scarce.
- Leucine is not the only amino acid available for sale which is said to reduce body fat during weight loss.
- There is no clinical evidence that Leucine is more effective than other amino acids available for sale which are said to reduce body fat.